Mustang E-Blast, Week of January 18th
We hope our weekly e-blasts help give you up-to-date information on upcoming events at Richland and as well as keep you “in the know”! A connected family is a successful family!
· “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is ‘What are you doing for others’?” This week in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday we have challenged our children to strive for one random act of kindness each day this week! 848 students times 4 acts each day this week equals 3,392 opportunities to brighten a person’s day. What a wonderful world this is with messages of love and kindness. “Love is the only force that can transform an enemy into a friend.”
· Police presence has been monitoring traffic by Richland the past few days. There are working to ensure laws are being followed to ensure safety for our community and our children. They will be enforcing the "No Left Turn" into Richland from Rose Ranch as well as the "No Parking Zone" on Rose Ranch. These two posted laws are enforced from 2:30-3:30 only. One way parents can help is to reconsider their route to Richland to abide by the "Right Turn Only" request. Our pick up today, even in the crazy rain, took about 9 minutes longer. Please take this into consideration when planning for pick up. Thank you!
· FOR Club Meetings times have been changed! It will still be the second Friday of each month but in the afternoon right before dismissal from 2:00-3:10 p.m. Next Meeting is Friday, February 10th.
· Friday Flag Salute days are wonderful days to have breakfast and/or lunch with your student on campus. We are sorry we cannot accommodate younger siblings and pets on campus. We hope you get a chance to enjoy this bonding time with your Mustang!
· Upcoming STEAM dates in January are as follows. Please see the Richland webpage to sign up to volunteer:
-3rd Grade on Friday, January 20th
-TK/K on Thursday, February 2nd
-Grade 1st, 2nd and 5th on Friday, February 3rd
Our Annual Shadow a Mustang STEAM day is Friday, March 10th. Come join our entire school for a day of fun!
· Friday, February 3rd is Family Football Friday at Richland. Come join your students for a Super Breakfast in our cafeteria and wear your favorite jersey to school!
· President’s Holiday Weekend is Friday, February 17th and Monday, February 20th.
News from your FOR Club:
· Mixed Bags fundraiser is going to kick off January 24th. Catalogs will be sent home and an email will be sent out for you to send to family and friends afar. Sell items for chances to win prizes including Emoji lanyards and charms, raffle prizes and the top selling upper and lower classroom will win a juice bar party and extra recess!
· Another great way to help support FOR Club and our children's educations is by saving the box tops from products you already buy! Check out this article written by former Richland mom on how to craft a DIY box top holder to make collecting them and turning them into your child's teacher a breeze http://adventuresinwunderland.com/diy-magnetic-box-top-hol…/
· SPEAK UP SURVEY HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO JANUARY 27th! This survey will help us answer important questions about technology in our schools. Speak Up is an online national research project that provides an easy way for students, parents, and educators to participate in our decisions about technology, as well as contribute to the national dialogue about educational technology. Since 2003, Project Tomorrow has collected the viewpoints of over 4 million students, educators and parents – the Speak Up dataset represents the largest collection of authentic feedback from these key educational stakeholders.
As a participant in Speak Up, we receive free, online access to the aggregated results with state and national comparisons, providing us with valuable data that can be used for our strategic planning, professional development and budgeting plans during the school year.
Taking the survey is easy!
Follow these instructions to take the survey:
1. Visit http://bit.ly/SU16survey.
2. Select your group (e.g. parents, educators)
3. Search for your school by entering your zip code or by selecting California and selecting your school’s name from the list.
4. Read the instructions and begin the survey.
We look forward to our district’s strong participation in Speak Up 2016! Be sure to take the survey from October 12th to January 13th.
· We just got $200 for our PE program! Download the free SchooLicious app to help Richland Elementary earn up to $500 for wellness programs, school gardens, PE and playground equipment. We are excited to announce Richland Elementary has reached 17% of our goal! Help us reach our goal of 40 percent! After you download the app, select our school on the profile page. It’s that easy! Everyone in the community can get involved – so tell your friends, family and neighbors to download the app too (every download counts towards our goal). When you dine out, choose the participating SchooLicious restaurants supporting our school's wellness programs. For more info, visit www.schoolicious.org
· If you haven’t joined our REMIND APP, to receive emergency and up-to-date texts from Richland, please text : @jbarbar to number: 81010 to join the group. We have 287 families currently signed up Also consider “liking” our “Friends of Richland” Facebook page to be linked in every way!
· Calling our Dads! Do you see our Watch D.O.G.S. pictures on our banner? Know about our Watch D.O.G.S.? Watch D.O.G.S. is an innovative program being used by schools across America which helps them to be positively impacted by committed involvement of fathers and father-figures in their student's life. Our goal is to have you spend at least one day this school year to be a positive male role model and to provide an extra set of eyes and ears on campus. To sign up to work ONE day this year, please see the link on the Richland website. Come be a celebrity here at Richland!
· Do you know about the San Marcos PACE Promise? The San Marcos Promise is a scholarship and career guidance program designed to enhance the lives of students, families and the communities in North San Diego County. We offer a promise of hope and opportunity for San Marcos’ youth and a long-term goal of reinforcing the culture of San Marcos as a well-educated, vibrant, prosperous community for years to come. The Promise inspires students to complete high school, sharpens focus on academic achievement and provides a direct path to post-secondary educational opportunities.
SMUSD signs MOU with Palomar College. Starting in the Fall of 2017, eligible graduates will be able to attend Palomar College full-time and tuition-free
Have a great week,, Mustangs. We love learning and “Creating Magic” with your children!
Julie Barbara, Principal
"It is vital that when educating our children’s brains we do not neglect to educate their hearts." ~ Dalai Lama